Comment on page
Here are the paths you can use to improve your skills!
Train your English or learn any new language by talking to native-speaker teachers! In the platform, the company will give you a monthly amount of $100 to spend on classes if you want to!
To get access, send an email request to [email protected]. Important: As the possibility to learn languages is offered through iTalki, we do not reimburse language courses in the Courses and Books category.
Want to do a course or buy a book to develop a skill related to your role or career development? Here's how this policy can support you with that! (Make sure to read this policy until the end to fully understand all limitations and requirements involved in it.)
- For books: Rocket.Chat pays for the full price of this segment.
- For courses: In this case, we always use the 70/30 rule, in which the company pays 70% of the price and the Rocketeer 30% (The only exception to this rule is the cases where the company asks for the Rocketeer to do a course, in these cases Rocket.Chat will pay for the full price).
Here's how the process works:
- 1.You find a book/course you want to purchase. In here it's important to remind you that these should be related to the development of skills related to your role or area of activity.
- 2.BEFORE you enrol or purchase anything, validate it with the People team (fernanda.bernardes).
- 3.If the People team approves it, you can go ahead, purchase it and request the reimbursement on the Books and Courses request page, always remembering to present the receipt of the purchase. However, let's pause here to discuss some important aspects:
You can do courses of any value BUT Rocket.Chat can only pay until a maximum amount. This maximum for Rocketeers outside of Brazil is $500, and for Rocketeers in Brazil, it's R$1.953. (Brazilians might notice this is a very specific value, and that's for a reason! By law, companies are only allowed to pay up to 1.5 times the Brazilian minimum wage in policies such as this one.)
Now, very important notes:
- This maximum value is per course, not per month. e.g. You purchased a $600 course, you can't request $300 in two months, you will receive 70% of $600 in one single month, so $420.
- The maximum value includes the total sum of any eventual additional taxes, such as enrollment fees or currency conversion fees.
There are only a few exceptions to this policy, and they are:
- Long-duration and high-cost courses: Such as MBAs and Post-graduate programs.
Approvals applied to these exceptions should be approved by the General Manager and should be included in the year budget by the business area.
The retention ranges are based on a common practice in benchmarked organizations and it's a form of creating a "two-way street" between the organization and the Rocketeer through this educational support. Basically, different ranges of value of company support are attached to different expected retention periods. The period starts counting from the moment a Rocketeer requests the course, and if they leave the company during this period, they'll be requested to return the proportional value to the time remaining in the retention period.
Since there are different maximum values, to create a fair policy, there are also different divisions of retention ranges for Rocketeers in and outside Brazil.
- In Brazil (maximum value R$ 1,818):
- R$ 0 to R$ 300 - No retention period necessary
- R$ 301 to R$ 1,000 - 3-month retention period
- R$ 1,001 to R$ 1,818 - 6-month retention period
- Over R$ 1,818 (exception approved by Head of the Area) - 1-year retention period
- Outside of Brazil (maximum value $ 500):
- $ 0 to $ 100 - No retention period necessary
- $ 101 to $ 250 - 3-month retention period
- $ 251 to $ 500 - 6-month retention period
- Over $ 500 (exception approved by Head of the Area) - 1-year retention period
Every request approved until the 15th of each month will be paid in the current payroll cycle (request made on April 13th, will be paid at the end of April). Requests approved after the 15th will be paid at the end of the next month.
Remember we have an annual budgeted amount dedicated to team courses, and we need to wisely manage this amount in a fair way to all Rocketeers, therefore always verify with the People team before requesting.